Full ingredients list:
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 rashers smoked bacon, rind and fat removed, diced
- 4 skinless chicken thighs, sliced into strips
- 850g Japanese pumpkin, cut into 1cm cubes
- 250g packet frozen spinach, partially thawed
- 375ml can light evaporated milk
- 1 salt-reduced chicken stock cube
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Cook rice following packet directions.
Step 2 Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bacon and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until cooked. Add chicken and pumpkin and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring often, until pumpkin is tender.
Step 3 Add spinach to pan and stir until spinach has thawed. Add evaporated milk, stock cube and pepper to taste. Simmer all ingredients for 5 minutes. Serve with rice.
Recipe supplied by Healthy Food Guide reader, Karyn West (Heathridge, WA)
Karyn says: "I dress it up with parmesan and garlic for dinner with friends or omit the meat to make dinner for my teenage vegetarians."
About this recipe
First published: February 2009