Zesty bacon and rice salad
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
50 mins, prep 20 mins, cook 30 mins
$1.85 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 cup brown rice
- 175g short-cut bacon, trimmed, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, grated
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Grain mustard dressing
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 orange, juiced (about 1/2 cup fresh juice)
- 1 teaspoon honey
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place rice into a saucepan and add 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
Step 2 Make Grain mustard dressing: Whisk together mustard, orange juice and honey. Set aside.
Step 3 Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon. Cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl. Add rice, lentils, carrot, zucchini, onion, parsley and dressing. Toss to combine. Serve immediately.
About this recipe
First published: December 2009