Full ingredients list:
- olive oil spray
- 500g beef chuck steak, trimmed, diced
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground chilli
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salt-reduced chicken stock or water
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 125g can corn kernels, drained
- 1 sheet 25% fat-reduced puff pastry, partially thawed
- steamed vegetables or green, leafy salad to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200Â°C. Heat a large frying pan (with a lid) over medium-high heat, spray with olive oil. Cook beef in batches for 5 minutes each batch or until browned. Remove and set aside.
Step 2 Spray pan with oil. Cook onion, capsicum and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in chilli and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Return beef to frying pan and add stock or water. Simmer, partially covered, for 40 minutes. Add beans and corn. Cook for 25 minutes or until beef is tender.
Step 3 Spoon mixture into 4 x 1-cup capacity dishes. Cut 4 x 12cm-diameter circles from pastry and place on top, pressing over the sides of the dish to seal. Lightly spray with oil. Make a small slit in the top to allow steam to escape. Place onto an oven tray and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serve with vegetables or salad.
About this recipe
First published: September 2008