Full ingredients list:
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 150g chargrilled eggplant (not in oil), finely chopped (from the deli section of the supermarket)
- 2 x 125g cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed and coarsely mashed
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- cooking oil spray
- 80g mixed lettuce leaves, to serve
- 250g grape tomatoes, to serve
- 8 tablespoons reduced-fat tzatziki, to serve
- lemon wedges, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Sift flour into a large bowl. Season with pepper. Use a fork to whisk milk and eggs in a jug until combined. Pour over flour. Stir until smooth. Add eggplant, chickpeas and parsley. Stir until combined.
Step 2 Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Spoon 3 x 1/4-cup portions of batter into pan and flatten slightly. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and firm in the centre. Repeat with remaining batter.
Step 3 Place fritters on serving plates. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, tzatziki and lemon wedges.
For a different flavour, replace the eggplant with bought chargrilled capsicum or canned corn kernels.
About this recipe
First published: May 2008