Full ingredients list:
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- cooking oil spray
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 400g lean beef mince
- 425g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup no-added-salt tomato paste
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- extra-light sour cream, to serve
- 1 tablespoon coriander, to serve
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place the onion in a bowl and spray with oil. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and spices and cook for 30 seconds.
Step 2 Add the beef and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes or until mince changes colour.
Step 3 Add the diced tomatoes, stock and tomato paste and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the kidney beans and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Step 4 Spoon chilli con carne into serving bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream (if using) and sprinkle with coriander. Serve with rice.
Use chilli con carne as a topping for baked potatoes or as a filling for warm tortillas.
About this recipe
First published: May 2008