Full ingredients list:
- 40g reduced-fat dairy spread
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- rind of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 800g thick white fish fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 125g can corn kernels, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- olive oil spray
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Melt dairy spread in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 1 minute or until just soft. Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes or until bubbling.
Step 2 Remove from heat and slowly add milk, stirring constantly until well combined. Return to heat and stir until mixture comes to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
Step 3 Add lemon rind, fish, corn and peas to sauce. Stir until well combined. Spoon fish mixture into 4 single-serve dishes (or a 5-cup capacity ovenproof dish). Cut a sheet of pastry in half. Spray each half with olive oil. Scrunch each piece of pastry and place over fish mix. Repeat with remaining filo. Spray top of pies. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden and fish is cooked through. Serve.
- If your family aren't fans of fish, you can make this pie with chicken.
- If you want to make an adult version, try spicing it up with chilli or adding fresh herbs, like parsley, to the sauce.
About this recipe
First published: July 2008