Low-fat Christmas cupcakes
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
$0.34 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- hot water to mix
- fresh or dried fruit, lollies, sprinkles, silver balls or other appropriate decorations
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a muffin tin with patty cases.
Step 2 Use a cake mixer to beat sugar and eggs together, until pale and thick and trebled in volume.
Step 3 Combine flour, cranberries and mixed spice and vanilla. Fold this gently into the egg mixture.
Step 4 Spoon mixture into prepared patty cases and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden and springy when gently pressed. Allow to cool then ice as below.
Step 1 Combine icing sugar and a little water to make a spreadable consistency. Ice the top of each cupcake and decorate with sprinkles or dried cranberries.
For Xmas gifts
- Pack sugar into a small ziplock bag, with a tag saying 'Step 1 Cream this sugar with 3 eggs.'
- Pack all other dry ingredients – flour, dried fruit, mixed spice – into another bag with a tag saying 'Step 2 Add this to the wet ingredients.'
- Pack icing sugar into another bag with a tag that has instructions for icing.
- Pack everything in a gift box or tin with tissue, a copy of the recipe and instructions, decorating items, and some cute paper patty cases.
To make your own cupcake mix for an edible gift, see instructions below.
About this recipe
First published: December 2008