Indian chicken and vegetable curry
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 hr (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 45 mins)
$5.80 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- cooking oil spray
- 500g lean chicken thigh fillets, fat trimmed, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into 2cm-pieces
- 1/4 cup Rogan josh curry paste
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 cup no-added-salt chicken stock
- 400g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2cm-pieces
- 200g cauliflower florets
- 200g green beans, cut into 3cm-pieces
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk powder
- 3 cups steamed basmati rice, to serve
- 4 tablespoons mint raita, to serve (see tip)
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Lightly spray a large saucepan with oil and place over medium heat. Brown chicken in 3 batches and transfer to a plate. Respray saucepan with oil. Add onion and carrot and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
Step 2 Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Return chicken to the pan along with tomatoes, stock, 2 cups water and pumpkin. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
Step 3 Add cauliflower and beans and cook, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir through spinach leaves.
Step 4 Combine coconut milk powder with 1 tablespoon warm water in a small bowl. Stir into curry. Serve with rice and mint raita.
- You can make mint raita by combining 3/4 cup natural low-fat yoghurt with 2 tablespoons finely-shredded fresh mint.
- This meal can also be cooked for 6-10 hours in a slow-cooker.
- Freezes well for one month.
About this recipe
First published: August 2013