Banana-apple-cinnamon bread with chia seeds
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper, leaving some overhang on the two long sides. In a small bowl, mix chia seeds and milk. Set aside.
Step 2 Place apple into a microwave-proof bowl. Add water and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Step 3 Sift flour into a large bowl. Add cinnamon and Natvia; mix well.
Step 4 In a medium bowl, mash banana. Mash in cooled apple.Add honey, egg whites and soaked chia seeds. Mix well. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Do not over-mix.
Step 5 Pour into loaf tin and bake for 40–45 minutes, or until an inserted skewer come out clean.Cool in tin for 10 minutes. Lift bread out of tin using baking paper edges and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe supplied by Healthy Food Guide reader, Agnes Mak (Bexley, NSW)
- Natvia is a natural sweetener. Look for it near the sugar in the baking aisle.
- Agnes says: “My kids won’t eat bananas or chia seeds, but they love this bread!”
About this Recipe
- 1 tablespoon black chia seeds
- 5 tablespoons (100ml) skim milk
- 1 small granny smith apple, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Natvia (see tip)
- 2 medium bananas
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 2 egg whites
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified