Mild chicken and spinach curry
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 4–6 minutes, until soft. Add curry powder, spices and curry leaves; cook for another 3–5 minutes.
Step 2 Add lentils and 2 cups water to pan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Step 3 Add chicken to pan, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Stir through spinach in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Just before serving, stir through coriander. Serve with rice and green beans.
Recipe adapted from Bridging Foods by Sally Scott and Nicole Sjardin, published by Fremantle Press.
Be sure to check your curry powder to make sure it is gluten-free. You can find gluten-free varieties in your supermarket.
About this Recipe
- cooking oil spray
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free mild curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 8 skinless chicken thigh fillets, chopped into small pieces
- 400g fresh spinach, blanched, drained (or 225g frozen spinach, thawed, drained)
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups steamed green beans
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified