Japanese millet and quinoa balls
(at time of publication)
Step 1 Spray a medium saucepan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until translucent. Add garlic, ginger, coriander stems, millet and quinoa. Spray with a little more oil and stir to coat thoroughly.
Step 2 Add stock, mushrooms, corn and sweet potato. Simmer for 20 minutes, until grains are tender and almost cooked. Remove from heat, cover with a lid and let grains continue cooking in their own heat for 15–20 minutes. Remove lid and cool mixture before re-covering. Refrigerate overnight.
Step 3 Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Stir parsley and coriander through millet mixture. Using your hands, roll 1/4 cup of mixture into a ball. Repeat with remaining mixture to form 8 balls.
Step 4 Place the sesame seeds into a shallow bowl. Roll the balls in sesame seeds and place balls onto the lined baking tray. Bake for 10–15 minutes, or until they are golden.
Step 5 Meanwhile, make the Ginger and tahini dressing by whisking together all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Add water to thin it out to your desired consistency. Drizzle Ginger and tahini dressing over balls and serve with salad.
Recipe adapted from ‘Eating for the Seasons’ by Janella Purcell, published by Allen & Unwin.
Add grated zucchini (squeeze out the water first) in Step 3.
About this Recipe
- 1 small onion, diced
- cooking oil spray
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander stems
- 1 cup millet
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 cob corn, kernels removed
- 1 cup grated sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup black or white sesame seeds
- mixed green salad, to serve
- Ginger and tahini dressing
- 1 tablespoon hulled tahini
- 1 teaspoon ginger juice (made by squeezing grated ginger)
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
Nutritional information (per serve)
Nutrition information is given per serve
*NS: not specified