Mexican-style chicken soup
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
20 mins, prep 5 mins, cook 15 mins
$2.74 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 tortillas
- olive oil spray
- 4 skinless chicken thigh fillets (350g total), cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican chilli powder (optional)
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans
- 1 cup corn kernels (canned)
- 1/2 avocado, diced
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut each tortilla into 16 wedges and place on tray. Spray with oil. Bake for 8–10 minutes or until light golden and crisp.
Step 2 Meanwhile, spray a large saucepan with oil. Place over medium heat. Add chicken, onion and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 5–7 minutes or until onion is golden.
Step 3 Add tomatoes and 4 cups water. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil. Add beans and corn. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve in bowls, topped with tortilla crisps and avocado.
About this recipe
First published: June 2009